Re-equipment of Russia by 2020
Army reform is the most expensive part of our budget over the past 10-15 years. The country spends 2.7 - 2.8% of GDP on the military-industrial complex; it is planned to increase the share of expenditures to 3%. The money goes to the “State Arms Program for 2018-2027,” which the government approved at the end of last year. Completion of work on a similar project in 2011 - 2020 It is planned that 70% re-equipment of Russia will be completed by 2020.
Why do several programs operate simultaneously
For the first time on the modernization of the army, the development of multi-year weapons development programs, the government of B.N. Yeltsin was still thinking. In 1996, they adopted the first ten-year plan, which was frustrated already in 1997. The next attempt was also unsuccessful: economic realities did not allow even 50% of the plan for the modernization of troops to be completed in 2001-2010 Therefore, in 2007 they adopted a new ten-year project, but which also failed to be implemented for economic reasons. In addition, there was a "war of three eights", which made its own adjustments.
Unsuccessful economic and more successful combat experience, initiated a new round of transformations, according to which the rearmament of the Russian army was planned until 2020. The lion's share of the funds of this project absorbed the reform of the fleet and the Air Force. As it was being implemented, the government analyzed the structure of changes and summed up the results. Additional information was given by the conflict in Syria, which showed the strengths and weaknesses of the new weapons. It was decided: to develop an additional plan, which is closely related to ground forces. So the last GPV adopted by the government appeared, which will be valid until 2027. Vladimir Putin, in his speech, focused the attention of those in charge that the work should be completed by 70% by 2020.
The date was not chosen by chance, this is the year:
- The completion of the reform of the army, which lasted 15 years. The structure of ground units and the material support of the military were changed. Funds have been allocated for solving housing problems, special education. The system of storing army stocks was restructured: instead of outdated warehouses, modern logistics complexes were organized with the necessary equipment and accounting programs.
- The expiration of GPV-2020, for which 20 trillion rubles were allocated. 49% of these funds were divided between the Navy and the Air Force. 17% went to the missile forces, 14% to the signalmen, 15% to the ground forces for the purchase of tanks, artillery installations, and air defense systems.
- The target date for evaluating the effectiveness of the use of funds under GPV-2027, for which 19 trillion rubles have been allocated.
It is planned that the rearmament of the Russian army until 2020 will increase its effectiveness and make it possible to become the most advanced and modern. This is how the director of TsAMTO (Center for the Analysis of the World Arms Trade) estimates the forthcoming and done work.
State Program 2020: what has been done
As part of the work phase, which began in 2011, it was planned for the Navy:
- Build 7 nuclear submarines of the Borey type 955. The cruiser "Yuri Dolgoruky", which was built for 12 years, was handed over to the fleet in 2008, the boats "Alexander Nevsky", "Vladimir Monomakh", and "Prince Vladimir" have already joined. Passes tests "Prince Oleg". The Generalissimo Suvorov, Emperor Alexander III, and Prince Pozharsky are under construction. These boats differ from the earlier projects 949A Antei and Shchuka-B with a noise reduction of five times and a new engine design.
- Six boats of Project 885 Ash: Kazan launched, Novosibirsk and Krasnoyark are being tested. "Arkhangelsk", "Perm", "Ulyanovsk" - are under construction.
- Build 15 frigates, 35 corvettes, the task is completed at 57-60%.
For the Air Force, it was planned to buy 600 aircraft, 1,100 helicopters. The troops received Iskander-M systems, S-300B4 systems, missile systems, including Shell-S. According to the government, the 2020 army rearmament program is behind schedule, but less than its predecessors. The situation in the fleet is better, in the strategic missile forces a little worse: out of the planned 280 Yars systems, only 110 are still serving (data from September 2017).
Program GPV-2027: what is planned
The military conflict in Syria gave new experience, focused on the use of unmanned systems, high-precision remote weapons. To the Russian army in line with the realities of modern warfare, rearmament 2020 provides:
- equipping troops with S-500, Zircon missile systems, electronic warfare means;
- completion of Armata projects (132 vehicles purchased, but 9 so far sent to the troops), Kurganets and Boomerang, which should replace the existing BMP;
- tests of the T-80BVM tank, purchase of the T-90M (about 30 pieces);
- adopt the air force SU-57, MiG-35 fighters;
- to modernize Tu-95MS, Tu-160M and Tu-22M3 bombers, to create a new long-range aviation complex.
Work will continue on the re-equipment of the Navy: the modernization of the Admiral Kuznetsov AVK, tests, and the putting on combat duty of the Borey-A project boats with Bulava ballistic missiles. The construction of an aircraft-carrying cruiser will begin, and new types of deck aircraft will be created. Two helicopter carriers were put into service, on which the Ka-52K Katran vehicles will be based.
The 2020 rearmament program provides for the annual purchase of 50 thousand sets of protective equipment "Ratnik" for military personnel. Equipping officers with domestic mobile phones that work both with standard mobile operators and with secure communication lines. For the sapper units made robotic systems "Cobra-1600" - one of the components of the new mine clearance complex terrain. They will continue to equip the troops with Solntsepe flamethrower installations, BTR-82A, Tiger vehicles with Arbalest combat modules.
The creators of the GPV-2027 even provided for trifles: the work of military ecologists, equipping the armed forces with weapons samples that are planned to be exported. These little things will allow not only to receive additional funds, but also to preserve the nature around military bases. Environmentalists will pay special attention to Sevastopol, around which there is enough waste from naval life.
The work ahead is huge, but its result will be the creation of a better army in the world. When the political situation around our country is heating up year after year, to have combat-ready armed forces means preserving the right to freedom, life, and self-determination. Save the country.