Paid holidays in January 2020
Paid holidays in January 2020 is the New Year holidays that apply to all officially employed citizens of the Russian Federation. These days in January have been approved as fully paid holidays at the legislative level since 2005. They are designed to create a small additional vacation during which citizens can celebrate such warm holidays as New Year and Christmas with their family or friends. Or just take a break from working days.
For employees who work on a five-day work schedule with weekends on Saturday and Sunday, paid holidays in January 2020 start on 01/01/2020 (Wednesday) and end on 01/08/2020 (Wednesday). Citizens come to work on 01/09/2020, on Thursday. Thus, the state provides eight full days of rest. This holiday period applies to all employees who carry out their labor activities in the Russian Federation.
January is one of the months in which the largest number of days off a year. Only May can compare with it. So, in 2020 in January there are 14 days off (New Year holidays and three pairs of weekends), and 17 weekdays.
Note. According to the officially approved Government Decision, the transfer will take place on January 04 and 05 (these days fall on the approved weekend - Saturday and Sunday) to May 04 and 5.
Shortened pre-holiday days in 2020, when working hours are reduced by 1 hour, are not provided. The reduction in working time will be carried out on December 31, 2019, on the eve of the New Year 2020.
The calculation of working time is carried out in the accounting and personnel department of each enterprise. Specialists draw up a schedule based on the following basic documents:
- The Labor Code of the Russian Federation (in particular, Articles 111-113 governing the calculation of payments and various nuances of recording working hours on weekends);
- Order of the Ministry of Health and Social Development of the Russian Federation of 13.08.2009 N 588n on the procedure for calculating working hours, depending on the established weekly schedule;
- Government Decision on the "Transfer of the weekend in 2020", which is approved by the Russian tripartite commission (its publication is planned for autumn 2019);
- internal regulatory documents governing the operation of the enterprise and the generation of time by employees on the basis of the main legislative base used.
Payment of wagesPaid New Year holidays in 2020 are included in the report card in accordance with the tariff standards approved by the enterprise. An employee who receives a salary (when working on a five-day week schedule with an 8-hour working day) is charged the full amount based on the data of the tariff scale. The salary of an employee cannot be reduced due to the presence of official holidays in the calendar month.
If the employee has an irregular schedule, he works in shifts or "days", options for double payment or compensation for holiday time can be implemented. So, an employee (for example, a doctor or a fireman) continues to work on a schedule, but the official holiday weekend is paid at a double rate. Or, holidays, in which the employee was involved in the work, may be offset by additional paid time off.
These points should be coordinated with management and spelled out in a regulatory document (for example, in an employment contract).
If an employee works on a piece-work basis or if his salary depends on hours worked or tasks completed, management can provide him with days off during the specified period. However, in practice, this most often means that these days will not be paid.
The accrual of funds depends on the terms of the employment contract. Most often, payment is made on the 15th day (advance payment) and on the last day of the month. However, there may be other options when the payment of earnings to an employee occurs, for example, in the early days of the month, etc.
If the payment of salary falls on the period of the New Year holidays, then it must be made on the last working day in front of them. Regarding 2020, it will be a date no later than 12/31/2019. Usually, bookkeeping tries to charge funds in advance.
If the employee plans to take a vacation in January 2020, then vacation pay should be accrued in December 2019.
New Year holidays (and other official holidays) are not included in the annual vacation. This must be taken into account when scheduling your vacation. Due to the January weekend, you can extend your vacation period without sacrificing wages, and save the expense of vacation days.
- You can extend your vacation and take a vacation for two days: January 9 and 10, 2020. So, only two days from the annual vacation will be spent, and the weekend will be 12 days (from 01 to 12 inclusive, leaving for work on Monday 01/13/2020) .
- You can take a vacation before the start of the New Year holidays on December 30 and 31, 2019. Then, in fact, the rest will begin on 12/28/2019 (Saturday) and end on 01/08/2020 (Wednesday). As a result, only 2 vacation days are spent, and the total vacation period is 12 days.
Important! The vacation schedule is prepared in advance, so all your decisions must first be agreed with the management.